Possibly incorrect IP logging

Is the new forum possibly logging the IP of a reverse proxy? I am not located in Germany.

5 Likes

it all depends on GeoIP BD and your provider, my provider is located in another city ~300 km away from me and shows another location

2 Likes

Sir, I know very well how GeoIP works. Every major DB I tested shows the correct country. I would not make this post if that wasn’t the case.

3 Likes

Sir, you’re right, I checked it from my server in Poland and it showed Berlin

2 Likes

where did you find that?

2 Likes

In the admin panel, a joke, https://community.teamspeak.com/u/byFlameZ/preferences/account

2 Likes

same , just im in Hungary , not in Germany :smiley:

2 Likes

I also got this problem.

2 Likes

Geoip does not always show the exact location.

2 Likes

Oh really? I didn’t know that… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

@JaXnPrivate indeed it is not accurate. Most of the times it shows one of the bigger cities in like a 100 km radius I’d say.
But this:
Screenshot_1
is not even close.
Every DB I could find gives something along the lines of:

IP Location Results for ---.---.---.---
==============

City:         Darmstadt
Zip Code:     64291
Region Code:  HE
Region Name:  Hesse
Country Code: DE
Country Name: Germany
Latitude:     49.9111
Longitude:    8.6573
GMT Offset:   
DST Offset:   

This is not perfect, but what I expected.

Maybe the panel could instead show the logged IP like Google and Microsoft and list the Location beneath.

3 Likes

I’am from Germany too and get Vienna :smiley:

2 Likes

My location is great too! I am right next to Munich and connect over Berlin (yesterday I somehow even logged over London, I guess I did a short trip there :laughing:).

2 Likes

Same Problem in this Post explained:

Company Subnet (exists since 2001 and never changed) shows up as Zurich, Switzerland but it is Frankfurt, Germany

2 Likes

We’ve just updated the forum config - can you see if it’s any better? As many have you have said, GeoIP will never be perfect, but hopefully it should be improved!

4 Likes

Can confirm that the static company Subnet is now correct.

Can also confirm that my location is now correct.

2 Likes

Excellent, thanks for confirming!

6 Likes

It says I was located in a village near where I live, only takes 3 minutes to get there from me. So it is accurate in UK but not other countries

2 Likes

my location is now correct :slight_smile:

2 Likes