TeamSpeak Development Status Update

Fellow TeamSpeak users,

it’s been almost one year since we’ve launched the closed beta of the new TeamSpeak Client and we wanted to take this opportunity to review the past and share a glimpse into the future of TeamSpeak. We’ve been pretty quiet recently, but that doesn’t mean we have not been busy.

With TeamSpeak version 5, we’ve introduced an entirely new and streamlined user interface that is easy to navigate while still providing all the functionality you need. The design is cleaner, more efficient and fully responsive. Additionally, TeamSpeak is a secure global messaging platform now that empowers you to send private and group messages, share data and publish your current status for other people to see. All without being connected to a TeamSpeak Server.

We really appreciate the community support and involvement. Your input has always been an integral part of our decision-making process and we’ve received a lot of great feedback about the new TeamSpeak in the past months. We’ve realized that although the new version was good, it’s far from amazing and didn’t tick all the boxes that you - our most loyal fans - want it to. So we went back to the drawing board and spent the time necessary to refactor the parts of our tech that needed some additional love.

The biggest change we’ve made will affect our chat features… in fact it’s already affecting it. Based on your feedback, we went for a full revamp with major changes to our backend, contact lists, direct messages and group chats. Our new chat has been designed with your privacy and security in mind, which is why we’ll provide a federated real-time communication system where you can host your own services on your own infrastructure. This is what you expect from TeamSpeak.

Now, we’re almost ready to launch the next phase of our beta program and give you access to all of the cool things we’ve prepared in the last months. To prepare the launch, the existing messaging services have been retired and are no longer accessible.

As a side-effect, you’ll hear an annoying error sound when using the new TeamSpeak Client. Here’s how to get rid of this:

• Open Settings
  • Navigate to Notifications
  • Scroll to the bottom and disable the Error sound

Overall, we are very proud of what we have achieved so far and are excited about the things to come. Hopefully, you are too. Stay tuned to our forums and social media channels as we’ll provide more status updates in the very near future. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks,

- The TeamSpeak Team

67 Likes

Great, finally some communication.

Very much appreciated.

10 Likes

Hello,
by simply disabling the error audio, i think TeamSpeak will still try to contact messaging servers again and again. Won’t this make the log explode at the end of the day? If so i guess this is a problem.

8 Likes

Yes it will fill the log.

Till we send out an client update you can delete the logs manually.
Here you will find the log:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\TeamSpeak\Logs\

9 Likes

But i think TeamSpeak will try to recreate it as soon as there’s something new, which is going to happen in the next 5 seconds. I’m sorry but i think i will just use TS3 again for today, in 5 minutes of keeping TS5 open i reached the log dimension i usually get in a day of usage.

EDIT: in addition, you can’t delete it of course while TS is open since the file is in use, you can delete those at the end of the day but this will just result in useless disk writing.

I hoped this is an actual update, but it seems it’s just a workaround for an oversight.

Based on your feedback, we went for a full revamp with major changes to our backend, contact lists, direct messages and group chats. Our new chat has been designed with your privacy and security in mind, which is why we’ll provide a federated real-time communication system where you can host your own services on your own infrastructure. This is what you expect from TeamSpeak.

I honestly expect it to nail the speak part, which it previously did. But it seems you just want to create a federated discord clone, which I personally have zero interest in.

Also “privacy and security in mind” is in my opinion not possible without open source, so for me this chat thing is really a non-issue. At least until you plan to use existing interoperable protocols like XMPP and Matrix, open source your (client) implementation and thus contribute a more open chat ecosystem in general.

Much more important would be the ability to just share an URL and use TS in the browser, because that’s about the speak part and bringing people together, forming new teams.
When I ask people to join a TeamSpeak server it’s not “oh but the chat isn’t as capable and cross-server”. It’s “hm, I’d first have to install it”.

7 Likes

At least when you ask people to join a TeamSpeak server you find people who know what TeamSpeak is…

And yes, this is just a (not fully working imo) workaround, and not an actual fix

1 Like

good work, do not provide an update but shut down the chat system

5 Likes

About time we got some kind of communication! How hard was that TeamSpeak? Could this not have been done months ago? Just a simple “Hey, we are working on the backend, updates might be slow.”!!

3 Likes

They are working not slow. They are working on a big Update

6 Likes

Thanks for the update!
I’m keen to use the group chat feature with my community, once TS5 is released.

1 Like

You have done a very good job in the last months! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Hype hype hype for the next update ^^

5 Likes

So we shouldn‘t expect really „new“ features?

2 Likes

I don’t think these words of yours will motivate them to do so further. It seems that pretty much everyone on this forum already put their thought about TS having poor communication into words here and there, so no need to bring it up again. Just be glad we at least get some updates.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the status update :slight_smile:
It would be very interesting too if you could give some statements regarding the Topic „What‘s the Status for the next beta update?“ What is the status for next beta client?

Is Teamspeak going to a new direction because of the new CEO?

5 Likes

21 Likes

"TeamSpeak is now a secure global messaging platform that allows you to send private and group messages, share data, and post your current status for others to see. All without being connected to a TeamSpeak server."

will that mean in the end that we will have to install an additional mailbox on a server that we will have to rent in order to be able to fully teamspeak … will this incur additional costs for the users? if this is the case maybe it is better to stay on the current chat system which in my opinion works very well …
what is the point of dissociating the handwritten chat from the teamspeak client ???

3 Likes

I totally agree with you if the contact system is linked to the MyTeamSpeak account that means that it no longer exists, there is no longer a contact list either.

1 Like

I would think maybe they would integrate the chat into the TeamSpeak server and not put it out as an extra product

6 Likes