Teamspeak Videochat & Screenshare

I use ts for voice chat and text chat, and i use obs to stream, and teamviewer to screen share.
I think ts is still a voip software , and these is unnecessary functions.

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

So here is why I think screen sharing is a necessary feature in TS5:
Now (in this crisis) more than ever people look for a replacement for social and work interaction.
I have been an avid TS3 user and like to use TS5 in the future BUT it’s not only my decision to make.
Most people choose the platform which offers the most features and the simplest experience. More than ever users use video to socialize and work together. Because of that my friends switched to Discord, so I had to too, although Teamspeak offers better voice quality and privacy.

Sure you can use Skype, TeamViewer, … for screen sharing / video chat, but at the end the situation is more difficult for the end user than it has to be. The now popular video-conferencing platform Zoom didn’t gain a huge market share because it was the best product, but because it was the simplest.

I get that a lot want to keep TS5 a lightweight application and I think that it doesn’t have to be a main feature with loads of options, but now in respect of those who look for simple communication I believe TS5 shouldn’t be restricted to voice communication only.

5 Likes

Well, we’ve discussed this back in January and back then majority of people wanted this, but no one from Staff ever said anything so maybe opening this topic once again will encourage Staff to say their thoughts about it.

This is great idea cause simultenaous use of TS and eg. Google Hangouts is kinda annoying. But you would need to have control whether you want this feature enabled on your server or not.

Well Teamspeak is slow in creating new features. I believe if they finish the current trello list by 2022 it would be a miracle. I wouldn’t rely on these fantasy features in ts5.

Staff doesn’t wanna say anything about this because of what I said above easy.

3 Likes

It’s a reason why i used discord sometimes.

In fact, I would want to take everything so that the user can ultimately decide for himself what to use and what not. I had a look at Matrix.org and set it up myself a few days ago and what I saw there is really cool and could also fit into the new TeamSpeak client because there are already all these things like video transmissions in there and theoretically you could take over a lot of it

1 Like

guys, dont look only for yourself, teamspeak 5 should join 2020’s standards and offer both video and screen sharing, if you will not make any use of it then just disable permissions on your servers(as it will probably be a thing if video/screen sharing will become a thing), and it shouldnt affect the general client performance at all, i personally would make use of both and i want to fully switch from discord/skype or others to teamspeak so it would be cool to have both options available as i use both often and those are a features that i miss in teamspeak

I miss out on both Screen share and Webcam features making me slowly move to discord, sad but kinda true since when wasn’t a situation when you wanted someone to see something and you couldn’t… I am still using teamspeak, but my friends are mostly on discord, I don’t have a choice.

3 Likes

I like both but just adding videochat functionality even as an offical extension/plugin would be preferable at this state. That way any administrator can decide for themselves weather they wanna increase the load on their servers and introduce these features or not? Seems like the best way to me instead of stomping on some peoples foot and shoving down features their throats they might not like. Of course you can extravagate this to an extreme and surely if you do it to much it will come with big resource disadvantages but for just videochat i think it might be fine.

Screenshare really is just another comfort, you can screenshare as well with only videochat by using a virtual camera. But we defintly imo. need some sort of videochat feature in the future! I don’t like zoom, skype, discord, Tinychat, Omegle, TeamViewer and others. can i have a self-hosted solution that’s not called Jitsi Meet and is not designed and aimed for business applications.

It’s just such a sucker punch coming from Discord only to realize your favorite TeamSpeak server even though the voice quality is better isn’t up to standard. Sharing your favorite gaming moments with friends via teamspeak, highlights or showcase them something becomes very tedious but with Discord it’s easy. And that’s due to Screenshare & Videochat which aren’t present in TeamSpeak today which have already been also introduced in mobile app versions.

Seems now more important than ever that their are services offering videochat or am I the lone one out on thinking this. And no I don’t think anybody when sharing a gaming moment thinks oh hey I could do that over my phone via messenger apps WhatsApp or Signal, or Threema that’s just not right. Honestly do you think anyone you know would go through the hoops install these other messengers launch them at the same time just so they can share something? Which btw. the biggest messenger in the world can’t even do on PC.

Oddly enough console players can do that just fine just we PC players can’t. Oh wait nvm. we can on Discord!

Stop sending false messages by acting like it increases the loads so hard, we’re not in the 2000’s anymore and TeamSpeak has definitely evolved from that as well. Because the new client ain’t going to be as ressource efficent as the old one that’s a fact. Because it’s going to be using newer technologies to fasten up dev times but also to strap on the rocket boots when it comes to deployment and ease of integration.

Which are the main drawbacks I can live with now with a modern PC, and modern 0.5 Gbp/s bandwith connection. Unlike maybe 10 - 11 years ago.

3 Likes

We’ve implemented a custom video chat including screen share on our TeamSpeak. It found some use but still had some problems not that easily solvable, especially regarding mobile usage and end to end encryption. We’re currently working on scaling up our version and publishing it for use by everyone. Will update here on the forum once it’s ready.

So yeah, it’s possible but really not easy. Would put considerably more amount of load on individual TeamSpeak servers though. Yeah, we’re not 2000’s anymore, but scalable delivery of video with decent latency is still not an easy task.

We’ll most likely provide infrastructure with some limits and a possibility to host it for everyone who want’s to have it on their own hardware or even customize it. At least that’s the plan for now, we’ll see. This external solution might even be a bit more elegant then shipping video functionality with every server (that most hosters would disable anyway) or expecting TeamSpeak (who usually don’t deal with infrastructure to much anyway) to do it. We’ll see I guess :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Is it possible to see or test out that screen share feature? It’s the only reason I cannot fully go back to ts3 :confused:

2 Likes

I really love teamspeak, but sometimes, i want to share screen with my friends or they want to share it and we have to change to discord for the screen sharing…

I think this could be a nice thing to integrate into TS5.

4 Likes

In my Opinion, TeamSpeak should not add Screen share because of different reasons:

1: Other Applications are even better to share a Screen 
2: If you just want to see the others (like a Webcam) there is a Plugin 
   in TeamSpeak 3 for it
3: if Teamspeak would add Screen sharing that would be even more expensive 
   than before (Server costs).
1 Like

I think it would work if the Screen Share/Webcam feed runs over the TeamSpeak Server itself and not the Global Teamspeak Servers.

Edit:
And if the Server has a strong Internet commection than you can use a higher Quality/Bitrate and if it does not than you can limit the Quality/Bitrate.

3 Likes

Yes, but the Server costs would be higher than normal because the whole streaming things are not cheap if millions or thousands of people would use it!

No I mean that the Traffic will not go over TeamSpeaks Server instead it uses the Server Traffic which you are connected to. If the Server has not a good connection or not enough ressources available you can’t stream or just with a reduced quality.

2 Likes

Have to say I would generally agree with the above sentiment. Keep TS simple. just creating custom audio drivers that can intelligently pickup audio outputs is an enourmous headache, simple issues such as people running dac’s and other equipment with different audio sample rates is a huge headache to deal with, as when they are not in sync you get buzzing and static, and simply changing the users settings is not an option. Dealing with setups with multiple audio devices and drivers is another rabithole and the problem with screen capture is people just expect it to work perfectly for all setups 100% of the time. Not to mention managing another thirdparty code base for compression and decompression of video is a huge ask, as its development then becomes core to ensuring stable releases. This introduces many possibilities of upstream development issues out of the hands of the TS team.

the main benifit i do see is a big one though, you have direct control of the quality of your streaming. versus the system discord has in place, where you have to pay for something like nitro, which doesn’t even come close to delivering its video quality promises, you can spec the server to handle exactly what you need and that’s it.

The best option is to have the addon system be robust enough to have dedicated pipelines to encapsulate basic datastreaming, since they already have the filesharing capabilities. This will likely be quite bad and not be able to handle video, but will open the door to the community being able to use open source codecs or post processors in addons, and they can draw the line in the sand such that they wont be responsible for people malicious addons used to spy on people, and the program doesn’t get bloated down by a huge feature that takes 100’s of hours to optimize.

personally like some people have touched on here, It blows my mind that nobody has thought to enable chromium HTML frontend on channels. This could mean that channels could be a full fat HTML website where all the files are on the same server. Enable support for jquery, and suddenly, by enabling two fairly simple features (chromium is already built into ts5) Teamspeak becomes a very simple framework for your group. You can make a simple site that lists all the game files for your server in the home channel and links you to a local trusted google drive. Better yet, since the FTP is already built in, they could give us hooks that cause the download button on the page to fire off a client side call to download using the built in transfer. IF they are able to enable the use of basic SQL databases suddenly you can grab a preset HTML project and have a fully functioning forum integrated into TeamSpeak, and anyone with HTML JQuery and Sequal knowledge can manage it, without having to learn the TS SDK at all. Security would be the biggest concern, but theres two pretty basic aproaches, either fall back on how chromium manages manages it, or lock down the channels index.html to only be able to reference a a built in version of jquery and a preset css stylesheet with only certain features enabled. On one end, you could have it re-direct to a watch-together for watching shows together. You suddenly don’t even need a third party TS5 addon, subscription, or a powerful server to accomplish what you want.

2 Likes

That idea sounds insanely good and incredibly powerful for adding any functionality that users may want.

It also seems like it would be fairly easy to implement for them
@Kieryok it could be a good idea to create a separate thread for this to highlight the idea

hello, firstly, thank you for your work, and secondly, I would like to propose to do on the new TS so that users can show each other a demonstration of the PC screen. This would help everyone in different games.

Hey
Screen Sharing will come maybe in the future.

4 Likes