A very specific stiuation

So, my government blocks teamspeak somehow, it does not work without a VPN. That is not computer or router specific. It is blocked on my computer, on friends computer and on my phone using seperate 4G connection. Obviously using a vpn solves all issues. If anyone knows ‘what’ is being blocked, I like to know.

I have rented a VPS and I am using it to run openvpn and teamspeak server on it. I was using openvpn for other purposes and at the time teamspeak was not blocked. I did notice that even though I am running openvpn connect on windows, the client still shows my IP instead of the VPS IP. My guess is teamspeak client is seeing the teamspeak server as ‘local’ and not tunneling through openvpn to connect to it. Meaning I cannot connect to teamspeak.

To sum up, TS is blocked by ISP, rented a VPS and hosted openvpn and teamspeak server on it. Still blocked since openvpn and TS are both on the same server. Rented another vps and installed openvpn server on it, I can connect to the teamspeak server now but I am paying for 2 VPS’s.

Is there a simpler or cheaper option ? :slight_smile:

Edit : I can connect to the same vps that is running teamspeak to access openvpn, squid http proxy, pptp vpn and ssh and … so I know that the vps IP is not blocked.

That is correct.

One solution that comes to my mind is to just bind the TS server on both your server’s public IP and the OpenVPN server internal one. That way you could connect to it from your PC by using the private tunnel address (like 192.168.1.1 or something else).

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I assume you mean than on client I put localhost and it connects.

Can you or someone expand on how do I do that? I am rather unfamiliar with serverside internal IPs.

There must be some internal address being used on the VPN link. If you look into your VPN connection info, you should be able to see it.
Try connecting to one of them and see if it will connect you to your server.

1 Like