Arm64 and fixing

1. Please consider adding and ARM64 build for Linux and macOS(here a universal binary please)!
  2. Please add an snap for Linux for a better user experience (this is pretty easy)
    Electron apps | Snapcraft documentation
2 Likes

It’s sad to see that Teamspeak was once the market leader in voice chat and now can’t even manage to bring out an ARM client after more than two years since the Apple M1 was released.

A few things:

TS5 does not use Electron. The UI is based on Chromium, but everything else is C / C++ and thus needs most likely adjustments for other CPU architectures.

Seeing that TS is still mainly directed to gamers we can use the Steam Hardware & Software Survey (steampowered.com) to approximate the market share of M1 chips. That comes to 2.43% * 37.78% = 0.9181%… Not only that, but also the client users are not the paying customers. So even though it’s not nice from a business standpoint I can understand that at least in the closed beta they don’t maintain another version that would be barely used.

As a linux user myself snapcraft is the worst idea canonical ever had. But something universal would still be nice. E.g. an AppImage or a Flatpak. But here the same as with Mac: Too few users for it to be worth it atm, I guess.

3 Likes

Id use teamspeak at my raspberry pi 4, if there were a port for Debian.
I know there are some workarounds, but they aren’t an Option.