Hosting a TeamSpeak Server at home

Hey! I’m fairly new at this whole hosting thing, so I do have a few questions. Here’s the full story:

I have my own domain that I use to host a minecraft server, and it points toward my public ip. That way I can give that out instead of just handing out my public IP just in case anybody wants to join the server. Lately, discord has been pissing me off, so I want to switch to team speak (Far superior in terms of quality). Ive been able to port forward on 25565 for MC and 10011 and 30033 for TS3, but I cant get 9987 to open properly. I contacted my ISP and they said everything looked fine on their end, no firewall blocks and nothing setup incorrectly. I used a port checker and it says 25565, 30033, and 10011 are all open and working, but 9987 isn’t. I have heard that they cant check UDP ports so I had my buddy try and join, but he couldn’t.

That being said, I believe the problem to be one of two things. Either A.) The port isn’t actually open and I have to figure it out, or B.) The server isnt listening on the correct ip (I checked the log_1 file and it says its listening on 0.0.0.0:9987, which makes no sense to me but I dont know enough to argue about it lol).

There is a third option, option C.) Im big brain and have no clue what Im doing and I broke it.

I would love to have some help if anybody could, I really do appreciate it! Let me know what information you need from me and Ill be glad to supply it!

Solution

Blockquote Well you have to do only 2 basic things for your friends being able to join your server.

Step 1

(1) open your Windows (defender) firewall settings
(2) click on the link which is highlighted red in my screenshot

(3) click the confirm settings button
(4) click the allow another program button
(5) browse to your server directory and select your ts3server.exe

Step 2

Forward the ports the server needs to your PC the server runs on in your router.

TeamSpeak

Which ports does the TeamSpeak 3 server use?

TeamSpeak 3 Clients will contact the server in the following ways: Service Protocol Local Port (Server) Remote Port (Client) Voice UDP 9987 …

Watch out not to accidentally swap TCP/UDP ports.

Your friends can join your server now just by entering your IP address.

If you don’t know your IP address click on the link:

https://icanhazip.com/

And has anyone else outside your network even tried to connect?
Not all router have the ability that you can use your external IP to connect back to your own network.

You as the host machine always use your LAN or Local IP.
The external IP is for the external user connections

Which Ports have you opened? Please read.
https://support.teamspeak.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002712257-Which-ports-does-the-TeamSpeak-3-server-use-

It’s normal that other clients can not use localhost when the server is not running on their local environment.

  • Just for the case. Are you sure you send the right IP?
    You may use websites like www.whatismyip.com , www.myip.com to

  • Open your router / firewall and check what setting is there for port 9987 or for the server in general.

  • Read the manual for your router / firewall.

  • Make sure your ISP allows UDP traffic.
    This is blocked in some regions especially for Voice software like us.

  • Double check that you only opened UDP for the voice part.
    Some router have problems when both protocols (TCP & UDP) are opened in one rule.

I’ve recently purchased a TS 3 Server license.

I tried raising a support ticket (including detailing the issue, providing the OS, etc.) but it seems “support” doesn’t actually provide support - I guess they fired/let go/rationalised all the Tech Support people?

The situation:

I have just purchased a Gaming license 64 users for 12 months.
I’ve downloaded the TS Server 3 software.
I’ve installed the “licensekey.dat” file.
I’ve stopped and restarted the TS Server service.

I attempt to connect on the same machine using the TS 3.6.2 client and attempt toconnect to my server’s WAN address.
I receive a “Failed to connect to server” error.

Is there a document somewhere detailing how to configure a server?
I saw one in the FAQ list but it referred to the no longer offered “free” version so I suspect it isn’t relevant.

Any thoughts from the “low cost Tech Support” community?

Regards,

Mark

Well here is your “low cost” (actually getting paid) official tech support…

For your information technical problems and bug reports are done here to first, get indexed with search engines and to also collet feedback from the users.

Adding to that it is more efficient if users can search for already made reports, rather than receiving every report multiple times.


The basic needs to the server is an Internet connection, firewall and network configuration.

That’s all what you need to get the server online for you and your friends. You find many great tutorials on YouTube or follow the steps in the posts mentioned above.

Right so no documentation, just “sort it out for yourself”?

You’ll find the full documentation inside of the TeamSpeak sever folder that you’ve downloaded.

Thank you.
I tried to launch “server_quickstart” thinking it might be a quick start guide but it doesn’t open (not sure what opens a *.md file).

The “full documentation” appears to be some text files, that don’t tell me how to even launch/license the software.

Off to seek a refund.

That’s unfortunate, as the server_quickstart.md provides a comprehensive guide on how to get the server up and running across different operating systems.

However, I understand that self-hosting can be somewhat challenging if you’re not already familiar with hosting services. In that case, it would probably be more suitable to take a look at our hosted solutions instead, as they help inexperienced users getting everything up and running.

Hosted solutions can be found here:


I would have liked to attach the content of the file here, but it is over 660 lines long and that’s breaking the forum limit :distorted_face:

Latest issue after a restart:

Well it doesn’t open in Acrobat, Word or Notepad.

What application does open“server_quickstart.md"?

You’ll need to use admin permission to start the server.

And a .md file can easily be opened without any special file reader, as it is just a text file with special formatting.

Using the “open with” should help you in this case.

Thanks, I finally got the *.md file open - I just don’t understand these additional barriers to get the software I paid for to work.
A cynic might suggest the company is shaping/forcing people to use their rental solution.
I also re-read the error message and I had put a shortcut in the “shellstartup” area to the download, rather than the permanent installation location.
Will restart and see how we go this time.

No joy.

Both the App and the shortcut are set to run as Administrator.

While it work if I manually start it, I’d prefer it to be automatic in case I’m away from the machine/don’t need to remember to launch it, etc.

Off to search the server_quickstart file.