Please remove IP2Location from your GEO location Database

+1 for just an attempt at summing the problem up.

RIPE does not provide geolocation. They do not deal in cities, countries, timezones. They manage IP assignment to business entities. Period.

Except IP address is not owned by you, it is owned by your ISP.

//off-top

If you like someone’s comment, please just like that comment, not post ”+1”. It’s seen as bad thing.

//off-top end

In this case, the RIPE database is good to see the owner of an specific IP range which should be located/routed in a datacenter. But yeah, they don’t really take a look to locations directly.

That’s the reason why I also would choose MaxMind overall, and hopefully not something like “IP2Location” which doesn’t really does his job…

1 Like

Hi again,

is this still getting observed? :confused:

Agree, it can’t be 100% accurate. But from my experience it has been good enough.

I still wish that if a client connects to a public server using non-route-able IP (like 192.168.x.x) the server would auto assign their region/country based on that of the server’s public IP. I’m not a fan of user’s seeing that someone is likely on the same local area network as the server because of unknown region indicator.

1 Like

Since the 13.05.2020:

(Source: https://blog.ip2location.com/knowledge-base/how-to-prepare-affidavit-for-ip-address-change-request/)

You need to sign an statement in front of a notary public to change or fix an location.
This is way too much… :confused:

1 Like

Well now it’s 100% the time to remove IP2Location. Because of this crap, no user are able anymore to change or fix their location.

Literally NOBODY will sign an public notary or some shitty things like this.

Please get rid of it. You can fix so many issues from other server admin’s too.

I can not promise anything here, but can tell that we have that topic and all the feedback on our table.

3 Likes

As a suggestion…

maybe this product can replace IP2Location, it will basically hit & kill all problems to this area.

1 Like

10 days ago, how‘s the result?

2 Likes

I made that post to point out that bumps are not needed for that topic.

You will see or not when we release a new server :wink:

2 Likes

basically we really wanted to have it on the teamspeak server + weblist, hopefully this gets something changed too. hopefully no ip2location anymore, that’s all I need.

but I’ll stay tuned. :upside_down_face: :test_tube:

1 Like

Sad how this discussion turned out… and every single day, I’m just getting more sick of your IP2Trash database. Please, make your OWN one or JUST DON’T use it.

It’s a single job, not a whole development software. Your system administrator just need to change it… aaand…it’s DONE.

I honestly had to cry when I saw this :sob:

“nothing is going to change” gave me a mental breakdown… :clown_face:

1 Like

Oh dear :frowning:

Does TeamSpeak even want or deserve that?

It’s old and useless in many ways. We don’t want it anymore…

That looks pretty poor… doesn’t it? :rofl:
It’s time to quit these old database’s… future is coming.

1 Like

Do you actually know how this process works at IP2Location? It’s not like giving them only my location and IPv4 address/range. There are a few more things to do, which nobody noticed here right now.

Here’s the latest 2020 tutorial:

Contact [email protected] and…

• send them your IPv4 address/range
  • the current location
  • the new location which is requested
  • an big traceroute from your whole network (MTR)

And if many cases; like + (~) 85% of them, you need to…

• contact your lawyer
  • letting an sworn statement to get created
  • sign this as your name and also by an certified lawyer
  • sign the sworn statement in front of an public notary
  • upload your ID, residence, the name of your lawyer and contact informations about the public notary.
  • …and the reason why you are doing this.

That’s the process, to change the location of an IP address. Sounds pretty jocular, isn’t it?
I’ve got many experiences with these IP2Location change requests, and there’s not much sugar on it.

Otherwise I would have fixed all my locations, but since quite a year I could not finish this process. I actually dropped it, and gave it up.

I could only try to give you some suggestions fox it. Where do you see there’s nothing to change?

Right now I’m interested.

1 Like

Already know this thread and all complaints. No need to interrupt with off-topic twice into other threads…

Where do you read that i wrote this? I did not.

That’s the context.

Edit
Next server release will fix the problem you have with ip2location.

1 Like

I didn’t go off-topic. He wanted to fix/change his location? I basically told 'em how this whole process works right now. It’s not like sending an single E-mail to [email protected]. Times like 2011 are already over, we’re in 2020 and now they’ve made it way too hard.

What’s going to get fixed? Or how? Nichts für ungut but I think you’ve missed the point. When IP2Location does not apply/approve my changes until the last day of the month, then the database update in your server/weblist does not effect anything.

There are strictly some guidelines. [1]

That’s the final point or reason, why you should remove or at least to replace IP2Location with another geo-location ‘software’ provider.

And why? Because IP2Location did not update my request internal. I’ve basically tried anything to get my changes applied, but I honestly won’t go into some legal processes - for just an location. This is way too much.

And how to change the location of an IPv4 address? Check this out… [2]

2 Likes

What I am now asking myself, is what Dante means with:

Is it possible to find a manually patched IP database or, as always, the latest version of IP2BadLocation?
Or something very special awaits us, where a new and especially modern provider such as MaxMind is used.

I personally think that the prices of MaxMind are more pleasant, the company delivers decent and extensive content, especially IPv4 / IPv6 update forms :wink:

I feel almost all points from our honorary brother MCG, because I have criticized these aspects very much in the past, there are so many things that could be optimized if you need help with your company, then ask us :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like