Please remove IP2Location from your GEO location Database

I would suggest you to remove this shitty GEO location tool from your service. More than 80% of the current set locations are wrong, country flags mostly get’s flagged (or set as unknown) and the staff there is just preposterous and Incompetent.

Newly some User did had a problem with their location. And everytime when I try to change a IP location by contacting them, they’re giving my data’s to other companies for some reasons.

Regards

1 Like

Latelly I don’t like this company either. Maybe it’s an great idea to remove this service, due of many mistakes in the last time.

And where do you have these facts from?

1 Like

Well I had some experiences what many of the locations are just set wrong, so it’s not even close to be on the real location for some reasons. Literally I tried once to update an location but it didn’t really go well.

regards

I have to throw some words in here…

Prolog

I don’t wanna go into detail too much but I’m still activly doing data science for my costumers whenever I can afford the time. These evaluations are often about polls or elections (non-political) to their customers.

Not any company has the money or know how to pay for or use advanced IP data services.
Which results in database sets they’ve saved with raw informations only.

If you wanna process all the informations for data science you need to be as accurate as possible.
This means you have to find and filter out a lot of data which is inaccurate.

In order to be able to consider all the different variants and possibilities, to form causal chains and relationships so that evaluations are as extensive as possible, it is necessary to obtain all information, even yet unknown information, like the location, currency, time zone, language, OS… of the participant.

Bulk

To be able to receive accurate data you need to deal with the big players.
Such as Maxmind, IPStack, IPData, IP2Location, GeoSurf etc.

Not any service I’ve ever worked with is 100% accurate. It’s… it’s not possible.
Some may be more or less accurate of course.

However.

I assume the most of all the TeamSpeak clients are hosted by ISPs.
Which is good at all because these IP ranges are usually not changing for years.
But usually doesn’t mean they don’t change.
On the Asian continent in particular, you can see many abnormalities or changes.

Quite a lot of users are using VPNs today which isn’t a bad thing.
But in fact this will usually distort the clients data (for example the location).

I assume some of the clients do also use a mobile connection or SAT, regarding to their location.
This fact also affects results negatively.

Just to call out a few examples…

Conclusion

There are a lot of reasons why the requested data based on the client’s IP can be inaccurate.

To reduce the amount of requests to the service provider you usally run your own database as cache.
Just remember each request can cost money or a specific amount of requests per day/month/year.

Depending on how long your cached IP address is valid problems can arise.

To reduce the amount of wrong results you would need to request any IP address more often and of course by multiple service providers at the same time. This is not cost effective or needed for a free service like TeamSpeak offers.

You should appreciate this free service even if it’s not 100% accurate (which is impossible anyways).

It’s costs time, work and money to implement such a service into your own service or app (for free).

And just as note if you don’t like the service TeamSpeak offers for free you can disable the country flags in your client settings.

Complement

I’m running/maintain lots of servers and services around the globe for my costumers and me.
And I do experience the same issues daily TeamSpeak has like any company using such services.

Lookups are not always accurate.

Since this is not an issue for TeamSpeak even if users complain, imagine companies are trying to restrict their services for specific regions (countries) or time zones. Inaccurate data is a real problem here.

Loosing money or costumers due such issues is a problem nothing else.

Puhhh… this text has become longer than expected.

6 Likes

Hi,

how about updating an location? They’re mostly not even responding to you, always hits an update every month and suddenly, many wrong ones in this case. Just like they’re giving your data to other companies, when you try to reach the support out there.

Didn’t you think about other services like MaxMind, neustar, IpRegistry or RIPE?
I bet they’re way more profesional.

Well I mentioned MaxMind.
IPRegistry is too new and far away from being a “big player” and has the worst pricing table.
RIPE restricts and limits the amount of WHOIS requests.

Services are automated of course.
Nobody will update single records or force unnecessary database updates.
(maybe if you are a costumer)

However.
If you don’t like the free service just disable it in your client.

I’m using my own lookups, too for any query tasks on my TS servers.

And if you experience that much wrong information as you mentioned just collect all the client info (incl. the location) and send an example to the TeamSpeak support incl. the correct information. Maybe they will redirect your issue as costumer the their service provider.

I think you don’t really know how the assigned system at IP2LOC actually works. If there’s a new IP address spotted on IP2Location, then they’ll set it “automatically” to the location. But suddenly, most of the location are not even close to the GEO locations somehow.

After the IP range was set to an location, then you need to contact them manually to update it.Well I also had some worse experiences there, that’s why I would also remove this service.

I see we have different opinions about the “location”.

The exact geo location in particular for TeamSpeak is irrelevant.
I mean we’re speaking the whole time about the country (only) which is a part of the location module.

As I mentioned above you’re not alone.

But I do experience issues like this mostly for regions other than CA, US and EU.

However.
Why should TeamSpeak shut the service down if you don’t need it and have the abilitiy to disable this in your client?

Nah… I’m talking about the geo location including region & city. The country is mostly correct, that’s right but many server administrators have the problem, that their server is wrong located into another country, city or region (e.g. teamspeak weblist, which does show many wrong entry’s). That’s kinda annoying to “try” fixing an location. I also don’t really understand why the region & city is included in teamspeak, that’s not even useful. However; I’m just trying to get this fixed.

Fine to hear
I’m having some trouble to EU locations

The main reason is, because the Servers are also addicted to IP2Location.com (check this thread) and you can’t disable it. That’s the main IP locate tool which is used by TeamSpeak and there’s no way to “disable it in my client”, however you’ve invented that.

Well, okay that’s a different story.
I agree to that.

Never really took a look into the weblist or checked the accuracy.

That’s the original context I was referring to.
That’s the reason why I said:

And if you experience that much wrong information as you mentioned just collect all the client info (incl. the location) and send an example to the TeamSpeak support incl. the correct information. Maybe they will redirect your issue as costumer the their service provider.

I can of course speak only about my experience.

1 Like

Well I’m curious if we can see any changes… Maybe a brand new update to the geo-location database system? :face_with_monocle:

IP2LOC is now used for many years here, like always… it’s time for something new I guess…

1 Like

In my opinion, MaxMind should be used, are a lot more modern, reliable and have good support and forms for IP address corrections.

2 Likes

I would really choose MaxMind! <3 They’re modern, quick and are not so private, wrong and disrespectful overall!

@Adam
@davinciTS

Is there something that the management can do about it? :smile:

Sincerely

2 Likes

if you are in europe GDPR is in affect under gdpr you can request your data and tell then to forget me option done that to a company in the uk already

+1 for just an attempt at summing the problem up.

RIPE does not provide geolocation. They do not deal in cities, countries, timezones. They manage IP assignment to business entities. Period.

Except IP address is not owned by you, it is owned by your ISP.

//off-top

If you like someone’s comment, please just like that comment, not post ”+1”. It’s seen as bad thing.

//off-top end

In this case, the RIPE database is good to see the owner of an specific IP range which should be located/routed in a datacenter. But yeah, they don’t really take a look to locations directly.

That’s the reason why I also would choose MaxMind overall, and hopefully not something like “IP2Location” which doesn’t really does his job…

1 Like

Hi again,

is this still getting observed? :confused:

Agree, it can’t be 100% accurate. But from my experience it has been good enough.

I still wish that if a client connects to a public server using non-route-able IP (like 192.168.x.x) the server would auto assign their region/country based on that of the server’s public IP. I’m not a fan of user’s seeing that someone is likely on the same local area network as the server because of unknown region indicator.

1 Like
twitch instagram twitter facebook