Port Forwarding Question

Hey all,

When I do the port forwarding part of my server to allow friend’s to connect do I need to forward those ports on the modem I am connected via ethernet or do I need to forward those ports on my wireless router?

1. Log-in to router and navigate to port forwarding options.
  2. Assign port number to local IP address with correct port type, 9987 (UDP), 10011 (TCP) and 30033 (TCP)
  3. Apply forwarding rules on router.
  4. Configure Firewall, on inbound rules by creating new rules for server executable (ts3server.exe). Allow the connection.
  5. Run server executable (ts3server.exe).
  6. On first run, it will prompt credential info.
  7. Save all credential info in secure location.
  8. Open TeamSpeak 3 client, click connections and type: 127.0.0.1 (if client and server running on the same computer).
  9. TeamSpeak 3 server will be asking Privilege key to confirm you as admin. Enter key from file you save earlier.
  10. Your name will have “S” icon, which indicate you as server admin.
  11. Find public IP address from Google search, “What Is My IP” or set up Dynamic DNS.
  12. Share public IP address to friend or family to be use on client, on separated network.
2 Likes

It depends on how the wireless router is set up. Most cheap ones usually NAT again and don’t bridge by default.
So if this is the case you will have to enable port forwarding on both - the modem and the router.
In general you have to open everything that would otherwise block any direct communication:

• the modem
  • the router
  • the server firewall
2 Likes

Digging up a dead post because it’s still high in search engine results on this topic and needs correcting:

This is absolutely incorrect. A wireless router does indeed act as an access point, but that’s on top of its primary job: routing. Port forwarding is very literally network routing, which is handled by (you guessed it) your router—not your modem

Hello i have downloaded Teamspeak 3 Server 64bit on my pc

My Pc :
3700x
ddr4 3200 cl14 16gb
vega 56
650w
4+tb storage

I have been at my wits end trying to get it to work and allow people from outside my local network to connect. i can connect any device within my area fine but not through the internet.

I have confirmed firewall is not the issue and have made the correct acceptions for teamspeak in the firewall.

My Spectrum router is making it confusing to port forward and i believe this may be the culprit.

When i add rules in the port forwarding section these are the boxes

Custom service name
Service

External host
Internal host

Protocol

External Port
Internal Port

im not sure what to put where for TS server to be open to the internet correctly. Is the host my PC which is where my server is active and running? and if so wich one do i put my IP in? internal or external?

My router is a RAC2V1S (Tall Vertical Rectangular shape)

I know i have made a mistake or i simply did not know what i was doing. I have discord and can screen share or share images !!

PLEASE HELP !!

Voice
Custom Service Name TeamSpeak Voice (can be anything)
Service Other
External host
Internal host IP of the PC (usually something like 192.168.1.XXX)
Protocol UDP
External Port 9987
Filetransfer
Custom Service Name TeamSpeak Files (can be anything)
Service Other
External host
Internal host IP of the PC (usually something like 192.168.1.XXX)
Protocol TCP
External Port 30033

All other ports are optional. A full list of ports can be found here: Which ports does the TeamSpeak 3 server use? – TeamSpeak
If your public IP is not static it is recommended to setup a DYN DNS service to automatically update a given domain to the current IP.

Thank you so much for your reaply and helpful info! I will input the values as directed here and see if it corrects my problem. Once again thank you so much for just taking the time to help some random person on the internet !

so here is my routers GUI. I believe it is set correctly
The interface will not let me leave internal port blank

also i have reason to believe my IP in not static and does change. How do i obtain a static IP?

Yup sorry, forgot that. Internal and external port need to be the same.

To get a static IP you will need to contact your ISP.
But you can also use any DDNS provider. From what I could find your router supports DDNS services natively. So you can just choose any free or paid DDNS provider and set it up on your router. This way you will have a domain that always points to your dynamic IP.

ok very interesting ! So if i can get that Static IP i can have people actually connect properly via the internet. the ip im providing to people currently is my publid IP found simply through google search and verified with CMD. Thank you so much once again for your help i will dive deeper and post of my success or failure!