Teamspeak 3 Server, New Install, cannot connect anywhere but localhost

Hi, I used to run a FREE non profit licensed TS3 server on a spare pc and then quit gaming for a few years. It didn’t work last week when I tried it so I tried to migrate it to a 64bit pc and that didn’t work. I then figured my license was likely expired. So I started from scratch with a new install and it works great on the same pc it’s installed on but I cannot connect from my other pc’s in my network nor can I connect from the WAN. I have the ports 30033 TCP and the 9987 UDP open and also have a static IP set on the server pc. I have messed around for 2 days and it’s driving me nuts. I do port scans online and although I can see 30033 I cannot see 9987 UDP as open and available. I am starting to think my router may just be old and outdated but the same router used to work as I have all the ports forwarded for games and TS3 etc in there from before. The router is a Netgear WRT4500 v3 and I ordered a new Linksys AC3000 to replace it but it won’t arrive until next week. Anything I could try that I am missing?
Thanks,
Dave

Edit: I did call my ISP too and they said they do not block ports. That was from a level 1 support person but she seemed knowledgable enough to trust. I use Cox for my ISP in the US.

You didn’t mention if the server is running on linux or windows and also where did you open the ports was it system firewall? If it’s a windows server make sure the server is running on a correct port by looking at active connections. On the server type in Command Line:

netstat -aon

It should look something like this

UDP 0.0.0.0:9987 *:*23544

As of windows firewall if you did open UDP port 9987 and nothing else can block access to server then make sure the server itself is reachable from within the network by pinging it. If you are intending to use TS server on your network and both server and client PCs are connected to the same network via LAN cable you shouldn’t have to make any changes within the router. For my personally I have issues accessing a PC on my network if one of them us connected via WIFI but that’s due to the poor router, no issues on LAN.

Hi, thanks for the help. I am running the TS server on a Windows 10 64 bit PC. I forwarded the ports in the router. I also allowed access in the firewall. I will test pinging the server. I need to access the Teamspeak on my network and with the WAN for connections to my other family members out of state. As far as running the server on a correct port I have 192.168.0.11 assigned and made static in the router and also on the server pc. I will post back after I check the instructions you mentioned.
Thanks,
Dave

Ok, I ran the netstat command and the UDP 9987 does not show up in the list. The TCP 10033 does not show up either. I was thinking, years ago when I setup the TS server I had to modify the start link with an added number or something. I don’t remember seeing the info in the latest install to add that to the shortcut link on my desktop. Is that something that still needs to be done?
Thanks,
Dave

You don’t have to make any changes to shortcuts or anything else, running a windows server is pretty straight forward, you simply download the server files and run the exe that’s it. Are you sure the TS server is up and running? You should see ts icon in the tray you can also type in the command line:

tasklist

and look for ts3server.exe session name should be console, if it is running then kill it, remove all files re-download them and try running the server as admin just to test it out, if that will have no effect then it may look like server host issue and you may consider reinstalling the system?

Ok, so like a dummy I didn’t start the TS server before the netstat command. I did now and the UDP 9987 shows up but not the 10033 TCP. Then I pinged the 192.168.0.11 from another pc at the other end of the house and got this so all looks well there:

Pinging 192.168.0.11 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.11: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.11: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.11: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.11: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.11:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

And on the TS3 server pc the tasklist command shows the ts3server.exe as console too.

What next?
Thanks,
Dave

10033? what is that for? the other required default port is 30033 and it’s a tcp protocol, it’s only for file transfers, in any case you should be able to connect to 192.168.0.11, you don’t need to include :9987 in the address as it will default to it automatically, you may also have a look at the ts server logs after latest startup and make sure there are no errors and that you can see it listening which should look something like this

|VirtualServerBase|1 |listening on 0.0.0.0:9987, [::]:9987

Oops.
That was a typo. I meant 30033. That now works and shows up now too. I will look at the server logs and see if there is any valuable info in there and report back. Ok I’m back. The log only shows:

VirtualServerBase Info listening on 0.0.0.0:9987, [::]:9987

And when on the pc with the server I can connect using 192.168.0.11 and/or localhost but I cannot connect using my WAN IP Adress.

Thanks,
Dave

I’m a little confused, in your first post you mentioned that you cannot reach teamspeak server from another PC in the same network (internal network) If that’s still the case you should not use WAN IP when trying to connect to it unless you want to connect from another PC from a different network then that’s a different story because then you need to look into port forwarding inside your router. In short you need to expose this PC to outside traffic (not recommended especially with windows server) You also need external IP assigned by your ISP.

If it is still inside your private network then to test it out make sure windows has a private network setup (not public) and also disable your firewall temporarily.

Hi and sorry for the confusion. I cannot connect to the Teamspeak server at all from another pc on my in house internal network. I also tried to use my ISP external address just to see if it would work and it does not. It was just a desperate attempt to get connected to the TS server. In the past my wife and I always connected to the internal network address when we played games but my father in law used the external address to join us as he is in another state. I will check to see if for some reason I made my internal network public but I am pretty sure I did not. I used to run this TS3 server for years and it always worked fine but with the new install on a different newer more powerful pc with all the same router and ports forwarded, it’s not working for some reason. The old pc it used to run on was Windows Vista 32 bit. :slight_smile: Thanks for all the help so far. I have a new router and may install it if I give up on trying to make this setup work.
Dave

If your new router will have no effect I would suggest you try to burn live version of bootable linux distro like ubuntu onto USB stick so you don’t have to install it or lose your current windows, and try to install TS server up there, this way you can rule out host OS as the issue other than that I think I’m out of ideas.

Fubister,
Ok, thanks for all the help. I will let you know later when I get it sorted so you know the end resolution, or not. :grin:
Dave