TeamSpeak 5 on Linux

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the Linux client of TeamSpeak 5.

It comes in the form of an archive, that contains various TeamSpeak files, rather than being an apt or snap package.

Is it supposed to be installed ad hoc by manually creating a new folder for teamspeak (eg. in Home folder) and then copying the files over from the archive, or am I missing something? It works just fine this way, however I’m not sure if this is the intended way of installation on Linux (Ubuntu).

1 Like

This is the easiest way to distribute a linux release that will work on (mostly) all distros.

If you want to install the client for all users I’d recommend creating a folder in /opt/, like /opt/TeamSpeak.

If you want to install the client for just a single user I’d recommend creating a folder in ~/.local/share/, like ~/.local/share/TeamSpeak/.

But those are just personal preferences and everywhere will work just fine. (assuming you have at least read permissions)

3 Likes

or you can package the client yourself in the format you need and upload it to your personal repository, but it will already become distro-dependent…