TeamSpeak 5 - Push to Talk issue on Wayland (Linux Ubuntu)

Hi All,

I would like to report that on Linux Ubuntu running the default Wayland display server protocol has no system permissions to use push to talk outside of the window being focused.

This is a regular behaviour from wayland, as it is a safety measure against keyloggers and numerous other things.

Currently the only workarounds are to either use voice activation, or switch over to Xorg instead of Wayland on the login screen.

Are there any plans from the TeamSpeak staff to collaborate on a push to talk api for Wayland developers? I think that it is important to have it futureproofed, as Wayland has taken over as the default communication protocol on Linux Ubuntu.

As an - admittedly horrible - workaround you can create your own remote app that listens to wayland compatible global hotkeys and requests the PTT via the remote app socket.

You can find the docs by going to Settings -> Remote Apps -> [i] in the client.

4 Likes

Everybody likes a bit of necroposting, right?

This is still an issue. When running the wayland windowing system hotkeys will not work (properly).
Whether running TeamSpeak as is (through xwayland) or with the chromium flag --ozone-platform=wayland to force it to run as a “native” wayland application, hotkeys will only work while any app running through xwayland is focused.
This also means that with said flag you can not set hotkeys as the TeamSpeak window itself is not running under xwayland.
The problem seems to lie within the hotkey helper. If I had to guess I’d assume it uses something like the XGrabKey function to register key-presses.

How can TeamSpeak solve this issue?

This is specifically for @TS.ChrisR :wink:

The XDG Desktop Portal implemented support for global shortcuts last year.
(see Add a global shortcut portal by aleixpol · Pull Request #711 · flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal · GitHub)
This does not only work in flatpak but also on wayland and even on the old X11.
With this approach the actual grabbing of key-presses is the concern of the users DE and allows you to get around the strict security measures of wayland with relative ease.

(Mumble is also working on their own implementation of this https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/pull/5976)

EDIT: This can in the future also be used for proper screen-share support

5 Likes

I’d also love to see native xdg desktop portal global hotkey support in the new client. It’s currently the only reason that I run it under Xwayland instead of natively.

If you use KDE, you can turn on the Legacy X11 App Support setting to enable global hotkeys in Teamspeak and other XWayland apps. Unfortunately currently it only works for keyboard keys and not mouse buttons, but that will change if this merge request is merged.

I have my push-to-talk mouse button (mouse4) macroed to F13 (or XF86Tools, as it’s called) using ratbag, because otherwise it will annoyingly navigate in my browser, so this is one possible workaround for the lack of mouse button support in this KDE feature for now.

1 Like

Same problem here, i installed ts5 on the new ubuntu but i cant use hotkeys outside ts5