TS3 Server won't work

Hey there, I had my TS3 Server up and running for 3 months but today it just crashed. As I read in logs, there’s a problem with licensekey.dat file. I was running old version on the server PC and I updated it to 3.11 after server crashed, hoping that it will solve my problem. Unfortunately, it didn’t. I tried starting it couple more times, rebooting the server PC. Last thing I did before writing this is starting my backup TS3 Server directly on my desktop and it worked, however when I copied my backup TS3 Server folder to my server PC it started once but then crashed again with the same licensekey.dat error. Also I didn’t find that license file in the folder. Also it’s important to mention that my server runs on Win7 Ultimate x64 on an ancient AMD processor and 3Gb RAM. What is wrong?

1 Like

What do you mean by “ancient AMD processor”? Could you write exact CPU model? Also, 3GBs of RAM is quite low so it also may be, that server is choking and using all available RAM…

Don’t know for sure, but it’s rather CPU than RAM.

1 Like

I’ve got the exact same problem. Tried the same things, with the same results.

It looks like it’s a problem related to TeamSpeak, and not us, since more people are complaining at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, it’s AMD Sempron Mobile 3600+. I just walked through the forum and found out that CPUs without SSE4 support can no longer start TS3 Server since 3.11 and my processor doesn’t have these instructions, only up to SSE3. Although I don’t know for sure, so further investigation might help.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, yes, there’re a lot of people who report crashing TS Server on old CPUs and it might be related to SSE4 instruction set support and POPCNT instruction specifically. I’m not sure about this but all factors lead to the conclusion that old CPUs are no longer eligible for a home TS server. I really hope that they made this instruction necessary for a good reason, otherwise there’s going to be a lot of hate on TS for that. Not from me personally, but I just set up my server on my balcony and passed the cables through the damn 60cm wall so that kinda burns.

1 Like

Oh, so that’s what you meant by “ancient”… Ow… Still, maybe you’ll be able to get something newer to work as your server, maybe some older desktop with standard CPU instead of mobile one.

And yes, you’re right with the statement, that it doesn’t support SSE4, since it’s very old, dating 2006-2007…

1 Like

Well, I looked up my CPU specs and yeah, only up to SSE3 too on the sever, so it makes sense that my desktop can run it, but the server can not run it.

Well, seems like I need another old PC with SSE4 support CPU :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep. Good luck finding a good deal!

3 Likes

I wish I had money to buy one. As a student, I can’t afford to quickly buy a replacement. Already looked it up, seems like I can build a PC from used parts for around $100 and it will be decent. Maybe even $50-60 for a lowest spec one. What’s worse is that I don’t really need it. I practiced some server side stuff on the old server, but it wasn’t making much load and I had no need in a new server. Just such a waste.

2 Likes

So, if you can’t afford new server (which is understandable), maybe stick with 3.10. It won’t be such a difference and you’ll be able to practice some more time.

2 Likes

Isn’t license expiring when newer version comes out? I remember updating server several times because newer version came out and TS Client gave me an error that server’s license expired.

2 Likes

Well, with this I can’t help since I don’t own TS server and one I’m on most of time doesn’t have license… Sorry for that. But it shouldn’t expire just because you don’t have latest server version.

2 Likes

You can get a pretty cheap VPS from many different providers and run it from that.

1 Like

Maybe I don’t know something too. I just read couple of times that if that license error pops up you should update the server. Anyway, thanks for answers, have a nice day.

1 Like

I don’t really like renting something 'cause in the end it turns out that buying cheap PC for 5 years would be cheaper. Thanks for advice though, maybe I’ll consider it.

1 Like

That wasn’t intentional, and we’re looking into it.

2 Likes

I disagree, when you take into account power usage, bandwidth, 24/7 uptime, dedicated IP.

From OVH a cheap SSD VPS: £3.59 incl VAT per month in the UK.

£43.08 per year. x5 = £215.4.

You then don’t have to worry about your own personal IP being shared to anyone, it’s much more secure.

Just because you can pick up a cheap PC doesn’t mean you’re going to get a better experience, if you’re using a VPS and renting month to month you can move between providers if you find you have any problems etc.

3 Likes

No, they have a built in death date. 3.10.0 will run until July 1st 2020 I think. As far as I know that is the same date for 3.11 as I’ve not seen and mention of updated default license file sine 3.10.0.

1 Like

It depends. My VPS is ~$10/month. Dual core, 1GB ram, 30GB storage (full raid redundancy), 100mbps up/down and 4.1TB of bandwidth/month, site has full UPS/generator power redundancy. I don’t need to pay for internet, electricity or worry about hardware updates. Over five years that is only about $600. I would be hard pressed to build a system with those features for that price.

1 Like