3.6.0 – Sound peaking problem

sorry then i miss understand something
(habs einfach falsch verstanden xD)

I had this Problem in Windows 10 Pro (x64 22H2).
Now im using Windows 11 Pro (x64 22H2) same issue.

Sorry, late to the party, this week was way too long…
anyway, here are my devices and settings:
Playback:

Recording:

I’m surprised you can only rarely trigger it; it happens reliably between me and my friend when speaking before and during pressing push to talk, and when continuing to speak during and after letting go of push to talk. By reliably, I mean you can hear it every 1-4 times you turn the mic on and off while making noise. To make this 100% clear, you have to be making noise into the mic before you turn your mic on with push to talk (so you have to be making noise before audio starts being picked up by TeamSpeak), or you have to be making noise while you let go of push to talk (so you have to be making noise when TeamSpeak stops sending audio packets). It’s the abrupt starting and stopping of the audio stream that seems to trigger it, like it has something to do with the capture (or playback) starting or ending on an audio sample that isn’t a zero crossing in the waveform (or near zero).

I’m using an RME Babyface USB audio interface for playback and capture. My friend is using a Corsair USB headset for playback and capture. Both on Windows 10. We’re both on version 3.6.0, and anyone who is NOT on version 3.6.0 doesn’t hear these artifacts. Similarly, anyone who is not on version 3.6.0 doesn’t produce these artifacts when speaking, even if the listener is on 3.6.0.

I don’t have any strange settings in playback, and I even tried turning off automatic voice volume leveling to see if it would fix it, and it didn’t. I also tried switching from 24bit 48000 Hz to 16bit 44100 Hz, but it makes no difference.

1 Like

I run Fedora 38 and after I updated, everything sounds fine to me but my mic behaves weirdly and some of my friends on Windows 10 and 11 have the same problem. Whenever somebody starts speaking it causes a loud sound for a very brief moment.

I am using a Behringer UMC404HD as output and a Auna CM 900 USB microphone as my input.
I know that you don’t recommend using the music quality for talking channels but it just sounds clearer and we never had issues with it, apart from people having stereo inputs misconfigured so that you hear them only on one ear.

We tried TeamSpeak 5, same issue.

One friend uses the Behringer UMC202HD as his input with an XLR microphone and he has the same issue. We don’t use the automatic gain control so it has nothing to do with it.

1 Like

Hi it’s me again.
We are still evaluating this and we are still not 100% able to reproduce this with all given details.

Many of you mentioned that a downgrade or disabling / not having AGC enabled does not change anything for yourself.

Yes it could be the case that the sender causes the peak

We definitely can see that senders Echo Cancellation is messing with senders voice/loudness for a moment.

Echo Cancellation should only be used when playback happens on speaker (not headphone or headset).

When you have someone in your channel can you please ask him following question(s)?

• What are his capture settings in Activation and Digital Signal Processing?
  • Does it change anything when he turns off some or all 4 functions in Digital Signal Processing?
    grafik

Optional question.

• ( What is his current capture device in TeamSpeak?)
  • ( Does it change when he does use client client 3.5.6 instead? )
2 Likes

Capture Settings:

• Everyone uses VAD (Hybrid / volume gate)
  • Continuous transmission no sound issues occure

Digital singal processing:

My Settings (using speakers)

Mate 1
See HazeBaze’s pictures

Mate 2

When he uses 3.5.6 the sound issues are MUCH less or DON’T occure anymore

There is a strange problem on my TeamSpeak server. Whenever I or someone else starts speaking, there’s a “pop”/“crackling” sound. But only very briefly with the “microphone activation”. This sound can also be heard with the TeamSpeak 3 client. But it doesn’t show up with people talking through the TeamSpeak 3 client, however almost all of us use TS5. Is there a solution? Otherwise I can’t really use TeamSpeak in the long run because I need it for recordings/streams.

I have the same issue with TS5.
Can also confirm that it’s caused by the user speaking, using TS5.

Downgrading to 3.5.6 fixes the problem 100% for me. My friend is still on 3.6.0, yet I hear him without the weird noise. But looks like I was wrong about both clients needing to be on 3.6.0, because my friend still hears the noise when I start/stop my stream while making sound. And I don’t think it’s about a “voice/loudness peak”, this sounds like a separate noise being added (refer to the audio clip I posted above).

My friend and I are using push-to-talk, and he has no DSP enabled, while I have remove background noise turned on (below max) and typing attenuation + echo cancellation.

Could it be this is being caused by the TS server version? The server we’re talking on is probably quite old at this point, version 3.13.7 (Windows).

Oh, actually 3.13.7 is the latest version of the server, lol. Maybe that’s the problem? Are you also testing on TS Server v3.13.7?

Edit: nvm, Tried on a server running 3.3.1 and still hear the issue. Seems client-side.

Thank you for the answer

• The second question about Digital Sound Processing is important and unanswered.

• Please turn off Echo Dämpfung as long you do not use any speaker.

2 Likes

My mates aren’t using echo cancellation. I have activated it since i use speakers.

For testing i upgraded to 3.6.0 and turned off echo cancellation. → No changes

Then I turned off typing attenuation → No changes.

Then I turned off remove background noices → still occures

1 Like

Danke.

To avoid any misunderstandings:
So your mates still hear that peaking sound from you, when you turned off any or all of these settings?

2 Likes

Yes. Somehow, there was a timespan where it appeared less after turning everything off. But not 100% sure.
After i turned off remove background noices my mate heared it less. But then i turned it on again and he still heared it less. So it was kinda weird.

I have to agree here :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Im using TS5 client Update 5.0.0-beta74

Audio settings:

And the poping I keep hearing:
Direct Link To MP3

Tried latest TS3 client, could still hear it. Tried turning AGC on and AGC Experimental, did not help. I would say the pops occur 80% of times when someone starts speaking.

As this is driving me completely insane please let me know if i could provide more info or test something to get this fixed asap.

@TS.ChrisR This sound (posted by @Bluestar above) is not the same kind of sound I’m hearing. I had a feeling this was not grouped properly. This topic should be split into separate issues. Thanks for the recording by the way Bluestar.

@Bluestar important is if the sender (the one you hear) has changed his settings as requested in

@speakmanbro but your report matches what has been reported before and we are now trying to find out if the sender is the issue (see the link above)

1 Like

Maybe but if you listen to the two audio clips, the sound TS adds is very different in both cases (and when my friend hears me, he hears the same sound that I hear when he’s talking, so I don’t think it’s something specific to one mic setup vs another). Maybe it’s a similar issue with two different ways of manifesting, I don’t know.

I will say I have had constant problems with the auto gain function like some other people reported, where it turns people down for up to 30 seconds as their volume slowly increases, while still allowing giant volume spikes through when they suddenly yell something (different issue than what’s being discussed here). This seems to have gotten a worse with each new version. Have you guys considered adding a lookahead delay to it so that it can catch big spikes in volume? The amount needed might not be more than 5 milliseconds, which would be negligeable considering internet latency.