Can not untar server on FreeBSD

So I’m not the most fluent in BSD but I did get TS server up and running a couple times on FreeBSD with no problem. My server quit running and by the time I got around to fixing it, it told me I needed to upgrade to the most recent version. So I downloaded the most recent as of today. But, when I go to unzip it, I get the following error:

begin error*******
root@ZFSserver:~/storage # bunzip2 teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2

bunzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
Input file = teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2, output file = teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover’ program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

bunzip2: Deleting output file teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar, if it exists.
root@ZFSserver:~/storage #

root@ZFSserver:~/storage # bzip2 -t teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2
bzip2: teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2: data integrity (CRC) error in data

root@ZFSserver:~/storage # bzip2 -d teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2

bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
Input file = teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2, output file = teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

bzip2: Deleting output file teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar, if it exists.
root@ZFSserver:~/storage #

end error*********

I tried unzipping it on my windows box using 7zip and the subsequent .tar folder was FUBAR’d too so I’m at a loss. I downloaded it on my windows PC, put it on a USB stick and copied it onto my BSD box that way.

BSD box info:
FreeBSD ZFSserver 12.1-STABLE FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE r356657 GENERIC amd64

Why don’t you use this command?

tar -xf teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2

The file is a Tar and not a Zip file.

Do not use the Root account to install the server!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, tried that too…here’s the result:

root@ZFSserver:~/storage/tmp # tar xvf teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2
tar: Error opening archive: bzip decompression failed
root@ZFSserver:~/storage/tmp #

If it has the .bzip2 extension, does that not mean it’s a bzip2 compressed file?

From the errors before and the last one i assume the file you downloaded is broken.
The command you did post should work fine.

Anyone feel free to correct me on following ;D
It’s a tar file compressed with the algorithm from bzip2

1 Like

[17:28] [xx@valkyrja]-[~]: uname -v
FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p8 r364004 VALKYRJA
[17:28] [xx@valkyrja]-[~]: tar fvxj teamspeak3-server_freebsd_x86-3.12.1.tar.bz2
x teamspeak3-server_freebsd_x86/
x teamspeak3-server_freebsd_x86/doc/
x teamspeak3-server_freebsd_x86/tsdns/
x …
x teamspeak3-server_freebsd_x86/doc/serverquery/stylesheet.css
[17:28] [xx@valkyjra]-[~]:

Works with tar fvxj file.tar.bz2

1 Like

$ tar fvxj teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2
tar: Error opening archive: bzip decompression failed

It didn’t work on mine!
I think the file is corrupt. Not sure how or why, I did redownload it several times yesterday and got the same results each time.

It would be nice if they had an ftp site or I could just scp it directly onto my FreeBSD box!

Just copy the link where you downloaded it and use wget on freebsd?

Here is the link btw
http://files.teamspeak-services.com/releases/server/3.12.1/teamspeak3-server_freebsd_amd64-3.12.1.tar.bz2

1 Like

I had to install wget, but it is downloading as I type this. Thanks TS.ChrisR

That did the trick nicely. Untarred, overwrote existing and the server fired right up!

Thanks a ton!

Note for the future.

Wget example:

wget http://files.teamspeak-services.com/releases/server/x.x.x/teamspeak3-server_distro_arch-x.x.x.tar.bz2

cURL example:
curl http://files.teamspeak-services.com/releases/server/x.x.x/teamspeak3-server_distro_arch-x.x.x.tar.bz2 --output teamspeak3-server_distro_arch-x.x.x.tar.bz2

FTP via URL example:

ftp http://ftp.4players.de/pub/hosted/ts3/releases/x.x.x/teamspeak3-server_distro_arch-x.x.x.tar.bz2 -o teamspeak3-server_distro_arch-x.x.x.tar.bz2

• ¹ non-official download server/link

Kind regards.

This 4 players URL is not the official download link.

1 Like