Please remove IP2Location from your GEO location Database

10 days ago, how‘s the result?

2 Likes

I made that post to point out that bumps are not needed for that topic.

You will see or not when we release a new server :wink:

2 Likes

basically we really wanted to have it on the teamspeak server + weblist, hopefully this gets something changed too. hopefully no ip2location anymore, that’s all I need.

but I’ll stay tuned. :upside_down_face: :test_tube:

1 Like

Sad how this discussion turned out… and every single day, I’m just getting more sick of your IP2Trash database. Please, make your OWN one or JUST DON’T use it.

It’s a single job, not a whole development software. Your system administrator just need to change it… aaand…it’s DONE.

I honestly had to cry when I saw this :sob:

“nothing is going to change” gave me a mental breakdown… :clown_face:

1 Like

Oh dear :frowning:

Does TeamSpeak even want or deserve that?

It’s old and useless in many ways. We don’t want it anymore…

That looks pretty poor… doesn’t it? :rofl:
It’s time to quit these old database’s… future is coming.

1 Like

Do you actually know how this process works at IP2Location? It’s not like giving them only my location and IPv4 address/range. There are a few more things to do, which nobody noticed here right now.

Here’s the latest 2020 tutorial:

Contact [email protected] and…

• send them your IPv4 address/range
  • the current location
  • the new location which is requested
  • an big traceroute from your whole network (MTR)

And if many cases; like + (~) 85% of them, you need to…

• contact your lawyer
  • letting an sworn statement to get created
  • sign this as your name and also by an certified lawyer
  • sign the sworn statement in front of an public notary
  • upload your ID, residence, the name of your lawyer and contact informations about the public notary.
  • …and the reason why you are doing this.

That’s the process, to change the location of an IP address. Sounds pretty jocular, isn’t it?
I’ve got many experiences with these IP2Location change requests, and there’s not much sugar on it.

Otherwise I would have fixed all my locations, but since quite a year I could not finish this process. I actually dropped it, and gave it up.

I could only try to give you some suggestions fox it. Where do you see there’s nothing to change?

Right now I’m interested.

1 Like

Already know this thread and all complaints. No need to interrupt with off-topic twice into other threads…

Where do you read that i wrote this? I did not.

That’s the context.

Edit
Next server release will fix the problem you have with ip2location.

1 Like

I didn’t go off-topic. He wanted to fix/change his location? I basically told 'em how this whole process works right now. It’s not like sending an single E-mail to [email protected]. Times like 2011 are already over, we’re in 2020 and now they’ve made it way too hard.

What’s going to get fixed? Or how? Nichts für ungut but I think you’ve missed the point. When IP2Location does not apply/approve my changes until the last day of the month, then the database update in your server/weblist does not effect anything.

There are strictly some guidelines. [1]

That’s the final point or reason, why you should remove or at least to replace IP2Location with another geo-location ‘software’ provider.

And why? Because IP2Location did not update my request internal. I’ve basically tried anything to get my changes applied, but I honestly won’t go into some legal processes - for just an location. This is way too much.

And how to change the location of an IPv4 address? Check this out… [2]

2 Likes

What I am now asking myself, is what Dante means with:

Is it possible to find a manually patched IP database or, as always, the latest version of IP2BadLocation?
Or something very special awaits us, where a new and especially modern provider such as MaxMind is used.

I personally think that the prices of MaxMind are more pleasant, the company delivers decent and extensive content, especially IPv4 / IPv6 update forms :wink:

I feel almost all points from our honorary brother MCG, because I have criticized these aspects very much in the past, there are so many things that could be optimized if you need help with your company, then ask us :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Well I understand that your ‘database’ is pretty hardcoded but somewhere it will be time to replace this. and I don’t request you to create your own GEO location tool somehow - but the best movement which you can do is right now to use another external service to resolve flags/locations.

In every new server update you basically put the latest database from IP2Location into your server database.

And also in the very first day of every month, you download and put the latest database there in the WEBLIST as well… it’s also from IP2Location. And I guess that you use the IP2Location Lite Database. Why don’t you just go to another external services? Just like mentioned above: MaxMind would be a very good step. (:Country::Region::City:)

I’m pretty sure they both use the same format.

It’s a replacement, and not a re-development… or when someone wants to reinvent the wheel; that’s not the plan. I’m just talking to make it according into another external service database.

1 Like

So. Many. Months. Ago… It’s quite a year now. WHERE ARE THE CHANGES? :frowning: :thinking:

I’ve recently found an interesting thread from another forum on a Ts5 group:
@TeamSpeak Staff you may read this:

It’s honestly so sad that a company like TeamSpeak is never able to fix such small problems.
TeamSpeak may not care to this issue where a lot of peoples are suffering, but they may can prove and fix it with a little update. Just someone who have some free time, and spend it into the weblist… either remove IP2Location or fix the sorting on the list.

What the hell is “evaluation” supposed to mean? ARE THEY EVEN WORKING ON IT?
bro rip my life pls.

1 Like

So did you inform yourself before you wrote this or just started to complain again without doing that?

You do not have to use IP2Location for your server if you do not like it.
Read the server change log for details.
We never said that we are going to remove IP2Location. ATM there is no plan to do this.

For the weblist part. We are not going to touch or update anything in the current weblist.
This one needs to be replaced completely in future but other things have much higher priority at this point of developement.

3 Likes

I informed myself and just figured out that you don’t even really care about the weblist or anything else.

I still have ENOUGH reasons to complain about this issue!

I don’t give a single damn about the IP2LOC DB into the server. So I mean it’s still good, that you’ve done this step (1 from 2) but I honestly don’t understand, why you still stuck in the weblist with that problem.

Yup — and that’s possibly one of the the worst existing problem since more than 10 years. Didn’t you notice that? Holy crap!

WHY? Because it’s “hardcoded” or how you ever describe it? The developers don’t have enough working hours to do this? High priority to other things, like a lot stuff which never gets finished somehow? So «never»… just talking about a long time.

Yeah… that’s good. But when? In another 5 or 10 years, how long do we have to wait?

Here’s a temporary solution: Just remove IP2LOC from the Weblist and use something else (as example: MaxMind…).

According to my experience with TeamSpeak, there’s never going to be a fast way to fix this. Either you totally fix this after a few years (which makes no sense) or just find a temporary solution to fix this, to avoid such a «sh!t-storm» for the next years maybe.

Yes yes… not enough developers I guess. Or just some volunteer which have some free time to do this tiny little thing.

I’ve heard somehow that there was a ‹draft›-project about the weblist a few years ago from the TeamSpeak team. But it was discarded somehow. Why?

I’m sure that TeamSpeak is hiding something about this god damn weblist… nobody can tell me something else.

AMEN.

1 Like

What is even the issue here?

Do you have examples of wrong IPs?

Mainly wrong locations on IP addresses — Currently the TS3 weblist.

IP2Location’s «IP-address-lookup»-tool shows the wrong location (as exmaple) on your own IP address. And if you want to update your location, then the company does not allow it to change/update it directly.

Yes, but do you have an example? I tested my IP and it showed the correct country.

Well I have to search for them now… wasn’t really involved in this scene for a while now.
It showed me mostly the wrong region/city and sometimes (actually on new IP routings) even the wrong country.

And also, if you really MADE it to update the location of an IP address, then you may have to wait for ~30 days as well. That was also very annoying.

I cannot publish any IP addresses here now — but I’m pretty sure, that the most of them are still wrong placed.

It’s just not very verifiable if people claim that the IP/country is wrong without having some example IPs. Then someone could verify it (eg with another location service).