TeamSpeak server not starting

– Unit teamspeak.service has begun starting up.
Feb 02 16:12:12 ubuntu ts3server_startscript.sh[13735]: ts3server.pid found, but no server running. Possibly your previously started server crashed
Feb 02 16:12:12 ubuntu ts3server_startscript.sh[13735]: Please view the logfile for details.
Feb 02 16:12:12 ubuntu ts3server_startscript.sh[13735]: Starting the TeamSpeak 3 server
Feb 02 16:12:12 ubuntu ts3server_startscript.sh[13735]: Could not find binary, aborting
Feb 02 16:12:12 ubuntu systemd[1]: teamspeak.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=5
Feb 02 16:12:12 ubuntu systemd[1]: teamspeak.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 02 16:12:12 ubuntu systemd[1]: Failed to start TeamSpeak 3 Server.
– Subject: Unit teamspeak.service has failed
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support

– Unit teamspeak.service has failed.

– The result is RESULT.
Feb 02 16:12:16 ubuntu sshd[13728]: Connection closed by 124.160.96.242 port 47813 [preauth]

Feb 02 16:12:12 ubuntu ts3server_startscript.sh[13735]: Could not find binary, aborting

Youre start script cant find binary , did you edit the start file to the path where youre ts binary is ??

No, i did not.

How do you start the server?
Do you use the startscript included in the folder? Maybe you are using another one from a different folder, check your path.
Try using the minimal runscript instead
Are you using the user who is the owner of the folders to start it? Otherwise do chown
(Don’t start the server as root)

I do systemctl start teamspeak.service

Maybe the systemctl service is broken somehow, try using directly the script in the ts3server folder

I followed this

(I have to go for dinner be back in a bit)

Please note that you downloaded an old version of the server.
Please use the latest one because it is required to access your server

Now I try to explain you step by step

How to install a Teamspeak Server on a Linux VPS

1. Login to your VPS via SSH

2. Make sure your system is up to date (if it’s a new installation of the server it is not) by entering:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
    This may take a while, depending on the server connection and when you have done this command the last time

3. For security reasons it’s better to have a user only for the teamspeak server that runs it and owns its folders, you can create one by entering:
    sudo adduser --disabled-login teamspeak
    Note: you can use whatever name you want instead of teamspeak
    You will be guided in the creation of the new user, but if you want you can leave fields blank by just pressing Enter

4. Start using the account you just created by switching to it, entering
    su teamspeak
    Then change your working directory to your new user’s one:
    cd /home/teamspeak

5. Now it’s time to download the server files from the official website.
    Go to TeamSpeak Downloads | TeamSpeak
    Search for your desired version (in this case Linux 64-bit) and click on the copy icon next to the download button.
    Now, in your VPS terminal, hust type wget and paste the link you just copied

6. Then you have to extract the compressed file you just downloaded, by entering:
    tar xvjf followed by the file name, so start typing teamspeak and then press tab for it to auto-complete

7. Once you extracted the files you can now go into the new directory by:
    cd teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64

8. Now you can read the license agreement by typing
    nano LICENSE and press CTRL+X to exit when you are done
    To accept the license just type:
    touch ./.ts3server_license_accepted

9. Now you can finally start your server with the provided script, just enter:
    ./ts3server_startscript.sh start
    After a few seconds, your server is up and running.
    Take note of the token it gives to you as you will need it on your first connection to gain admin access, you will be prompted for it.

10. After copying the token you can just connect to your server by typing in the connection tab on Teamspeak Client the IP of your VPS

Okay so i do have a seperate user and for step two see below
W: GPG error: http://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu xenial/mongodb-org/3.4 Release: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY BC711F9BA15703C6
E: The repository ‘http://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu xenial/mongodb-org/3.4 Release’ is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

I got this error on step two!!

For step 6:
teamspeak@ubuntu:~$ tar xvjf teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64/
tar (child): teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64/: Cannot read: Is a directory
tar (child): At beginning of tape, quitting now
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
perhaps it is corrupted? Possible reason follows.
bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover’ program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Also my TeamSpeak server was working for around 11 days then stopped working. It just did this the second it stopped working. It has been like this for around 24 hours. image

You can ignore this for the server installation, but it is caused by a previous installation of some software on the vps

you have to unzip the file ending with .tar.bz2 so check the name when doing the command

By the way, the guide I wrote is intended for a new installation, not a recovery, so if you didn’t do too much work on the server I suggest you to start all again.
If you don’t have other things on the VPS, reset it and start again. Otherwise, go into the server directory and move the ts3server.sqlitedb to another directory then remove the server directory and start again
For example you can do:
mv ./ts3server.sqlitedb /home/teamspeak/ts3server.sqlitedb
(Please note that instead of teamspeak you have to type the teamspeak user name)
Then do sudo rm -rf /home/teamspeak/* (WARNING: do this only if you don’t have other important stuff in that folder)
Now you can start again from step 4
Before doing the start command (step 9), re paste the copied file in that folder by:
mv /home/teamspeak/ts3server.sqlitedb /home/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64/ts3server.sqlitedb

I have done a ton of work on that TeamSpeak3!
I have also got an entire Minecraft network including its MC Network! And Discord bots

What should my next step be?

Do this:

Then do steps 4 to 6
Then do this:

And finally do step 9

What now? Should I just download that file then delete it in /home/teamspeak

Also please add me on discord SoNot#0001
Reason: I cannot post any more replies as i am a new user

What is not allowed?

I don’t think this is allowed, by the way follow a tutorial on how to use linux before throwing yourself into that, and if you are not able to use it, ask an authorised hosting to take care of your server.
If you wanna go on this way, please post the results of:
ls /home
ls /home/teamspeak
ls /home/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_linux_amd64

1 Like

?

post the results of these command please