Backup your server instance or migrate onto a new location

This thread will explain how create a backup of your current server instance and all of it’s files. (ignore step 2).
And you will see which files are needed to migrate/move your server to a new location / machine (all steps).
A simplified version exists in our FAQ but we like to offer you a step by step guide.

Fowling steps are an universal solution for every Operation System.
It does not matter if you move from Linux to Windows or to Mac OS etc.

1. Stop the current server instance (Do not kill it! Or else you will not be able to start your new server for the next 2-3 hours!)
Shutdown your server instance (Expand to get a how to for your operation system)
  • These are official supported ways. to shutdown the whole server.
    All ways will shutdown the whole instance and will report, that slots are not used anymore.```
* All operation systems:
In the ServerQuery interface you can enter the command `serverprocessstop`

* Linux/FreeBSD shell:
The command `./ts3server_startscript.sh` stop if your server was started with `./ts3server_startscript.sh start`

* Windows:
Right-click into the Server Tray Icon -> Then press `Exit`
  1. Download the latest server from our website and install the new ts server on your target machine.
  • Don’t use a Root / Admin account for the installation!
  1. Copy following files to the target machine:
.ts3server_license_accepted
licensekey.dat
query_ip_blacklist.txt
query_ip_whitelist.txt
serverkey.dat
ts3server.ini
ts3db_mariaDB.ini
ts3server.sqlitedb
  • In case of MariaDB do not forget to move your server database to the new server.
  • It could be that not all listed files do exist on your machine. Don’t worry about that :smiley:
  1. Copy following folders to the target machine:
files
logs
  1. Start the server on new location or machine.

• Keep your backup from Step 3 (and 4 if you like). It’s always good to have a backup.
  • Do not use this How-to to make a running copy of your current server. That’s not supported. Copies will deny to start or will shutdown on their own.

The topic in this thread is all about making a backup of the server or move it to a new location.
Every Off-topic posts won’t get any answer or will be removed from this thread.

Please search for the topic in our forum first and create a thread for your problem in case you could not find any related topic or answer.

14 Likes

Nice post, I’m sure it will be really usefull for many community managers.

6 Likes

So, i copied all files from the “old” machine to the new one and started the server but now i dont have admin rights. What am i doing wrong or is there any way to regain server admin?

1 Like

In that case you missed the server database or you use another identity on that new server.

2 Likes
twitch instagram twitter facebook